I went there. Mhmm.
To figure out how to make coffee cake, I looked up recipes and decided to healthify this one. Don’t worry though, it still tastes sinfully delicious. And it is 100% whole wheat!
Recipe: Makes 12 servings
1/2 cup real, organic butter
1 cup unrefined sugar
1 egg & 1 egg white
1 1/4 cup light sour cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 tbsp melted butter
1. Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9×19 inch baking pan.
2. In a large bowl, cream together 1 cup butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the sour cream and vanilla. Mix in 2 cups flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Spread the batter in the prepared pan.
3. Prepare the topping: In a medium bowl mix 1/3 cup flour, brown sugar, and 1 tablespoon melted butter. Sprinkle batter with the topping.
4. Bake for 35 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
5. Enjoy with a nice glass of milk or coffee! The next day, I recommend nuking it for 10 seconds.
Sheeva said it was her favorite thing that I have made. I’ll take that as a success!