The weekend has arrived! This week was incredibly hectic, but very rewarding. I began my internship at the fertility center on Wednesday. I have a very good feeling about it, and I am fully aware and prepared to do lots of filing and notsofun stuff. My feeling is that even if 80% of what I am doing is essentially busy work, as long as the other 20% leaves me feeling fulfilled and/or like I have learned something, then it is completely worth it.
On my first day, one of the nurses gave me a tour and I was able to see the ultrasound rooms, the cryogenic freezer, the surgical rooms, the sperm donation room……and the room where embryos are literally made! The embryologist showed me the microscope that she works under to artificially inseminate the donor egg. It is attached to a TV screen so I will get to watch her make babies some time! I spent the rest of the time alphabetizing charts and paperwork, but even that was interesting. When I got home, I was ravenous and made a delicious dinner and dessert…
New Zealand lamb sliders on a whole wheat bun with Lori’s goat cheese brussel sprouts.
You have to make these brussels. The recipe could literally make dirt taste good. I only made one alteration because I didn’t have any juice, which for me is a huge deal seeing as I usually butcher recipes.
Balsamic Goat Cheese Brussel Sprouts
lots of brussel sprouts (for multiple servings)
1/2 sweet onion, chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp goat cheese (I used a bit more)
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar (I just drizzled it everywhere, Im not sure if I used a whole 1/4 cup)
orange juice pomegranate cocktail mixer (hehe)
Directions – Saute the onions in olive oil until soft and add the brussel sprouts. Cook until soft. Scrape into a bowl and toss together with everything else!
Dessert was another blog recipe! I have actually made Joanne’s Boston Marathon Cookies twice. Once following her recipe religiously, and once changing it up a tad. Both ways were tasty, but my changes made them a bit more dessert-like and less snack-like.
This photo is from when I made them according to the recipe. If you wish to try them the way I made them, sub coconut oil for the olive oil, skip the dates and lemon zest, and use more vanilla extract and sesame seeds.
On Thursday, I had my 8am biochemistry lab until 1. Knowing it was going to be long one, I made a hearty breakfast…
In lab, we extracted DNA from our own cheek cells, purified the lactate dehydrogenase enzyme, and then ran it through an electrophoresis gel. It sounds really fancy, but it actually wasn’t so bad. I didn’t do anything drastically wrong, but I did throw away the girl’s next to me test tube of purified product. I had to dig through the trash to get it out for her. Unfortunately, the trash was filled with saliva from other peoples cheek cell extractions…… Yum.
Afterwards I went to the fertility center, for a few hours and mostly did filing. I got to talk to the head endocrinologist the last half hour of my shift and those 30 minutes of conversation left me feeling so excited and in awe. I shouldn’t jump to any big conclusions, but MED SCHOOL kept running through my mind. As soon as I got out, I headed to the gym and did my usual weight lifting routine and followed it up with this bomb protein smoothie:
Dark Chocolate Cherry Protein Smoothie
Recipe: serves 1
1/2 cup frozen cherries
3/4 cup unsweetened chocolate almond milk
1 scoop chocolate protein powder (~25 grams protein)
couple drops stevia + vanilla extract + pinch salt
Directions – Blend!
I am sorry this was more of a diary entry than a blog post. Hopefully it wasn’t too painful. I just got a package of vanilla beans in the mail (the envelope smelled of vanilla), so I’m thinkin’ sesame-vanilla bean cookies are in order!