Hey y’all! I’m sorry for the poor formatting of upcoming posts, I’m using the WordPress app on my iPhone while traveling!
Before heading to Med school in August, I wanted to travel for an extended period of time and that time has come! My plans started off nebulous with just a list (erm.. Google spreadsheet) of countries I want to visit and highlights of each. My plans have now firmed up a bit but there is flexibility throughout with some exceptions.
Packing was a challenge as I am traveling through Asia, Africa, Europe, and Scandinavia through wet and dry seasons at various altitudes. Everything pictured fits into my backpacking backpack (my beloved Deuter).
What I am bringing (not the stuff at the top of the photo):
- Warm Patagonia puffy
- Goretex rain jacket
- Two long sleeve thermals
- Two pairs hiking pants, one in light color to fend off mosquitos
- Two pairs hiking shorts, one in light color
- Two pairs wool hiking socks
- Hiking boots with ankle support
- 3 pairs short socks
- One pair versatile run shoes
- Two sports bras
- 4 tanks/short sleeve tops
- Two airy cute tops
- One light dress
- One long black skirt, double as dress or cover up
- 2 swim suits
- Goggle and cap (not necessary)
- Backpack rain cover
- Quest bars
- One pair sunskis sunglasses – the best
- One scarf to cover up
- Cheap cute bracelet
- Day pack
- Big backpacking backpack
- Sleeping bag
- Travel guide books
- Deet insect spray
- Hair bands and elastics
- Mini tooth brush and paste and hair brush
- Ear plugs and eye mask for sleeping
- Medications for malaria, constipation, diarrhea, sleeping aid, ibuprofen
- Quick dry towel
- Tampons or diva cup
- Mini conditioner if your hair is picky
- Minimal makeup, spf chapstick
- Cheap unlocked spare phone
- Water purifier
- Underwater diving phone case
- External battery
- Sim converters
- Lock and key, number code lock, cables
- Money belt
- Paper copies of passport, vaccines, visas, tickets, IDs
- Email self photos of all important documents, IDs, vaccines, visas, and phone numbers for all cards, banks, insurance, and passwords you may forget (write them in code only you will understand)
- Travel friendly credit cards – I love my Schwab and chase sapphire cards
- New US bills
- International driver permit
In advance of traveling, be sure to do the following:
- Research and get vaccines for all possible destinations. Obtain evidence for yellow fever.
- Call all credit cards and set up travel alerts
- Discontinue recurring bills you will not use, such as car insurance, newspaper subscription, gym
- Set up auto payments for other bills
- Purchase travel insurance, I used world nomads but hope to not use it
- Forward mail if applicable
- Research visa requirements and complete those required in advance
- Read message boards about destinations for logistics as well as activities
- Check to see if destinations require outbound flight evidence (I had to buy a flight leaving Bali at the San Francisco airport on my phone because they wouldn’t let me check into Eva airways without it)
- Download travel apps such as whatsapp, Expedia, hostelbookers, expedia, skyscanner, Skype
- Back up computer and phone. Download google photos to save photos as you travel. Update iCloud.
- Consider an international phone plan or unlocked phone. Consider an international driver permit.
- Go to the dentist and doctor if traveling long term! Obtain any needed prescriptions to last length of trip.
Up next, Bali!